Meaning of FANUC Robot Model Letters
FANUC is one of the top robotic manufacturers in the world with over 500,000 robots installed across numerous industries. They are known for their strong, innovative, and reliable industrial robots. They have one of the most extensive product lines of industrial robots, manufacturing over 100 different models. There are several robot lines within the FANUC brand with each line typically consisting of a standard robot model and several variants. Many of FANUC’s robots contain a letter at the end of their model name which designates a special feature of the robot. Below is a guide to the meaning of some of the most common letters used for FANUC robot names.
- • No Letter - If a robot name does not contain a forward slash followed by an additional number and letter then that means it is the standard robot model. The Arcmate 120ic and LR Mate 200id are examples of two popular standard FANUC models.
- • L - The letter “L” at the end of a FANUC robot name designates that the model is an extended reach robot. Extended reach robots feature longer arms than their standard counterpart. The Arcmate 100ic-6L is an example of an extended reach FANUC robot.
- • S - The letter “S” at the end of a FANUC robot name means the robot is a short arm model. Short arm robots have reaches that are less than the standard model they are based upon. The FANUC M10ia-10S is a short arm robot.
- • H - FANUC robots containing an “H” at the end of their name are 5-axis robots. For example, the M-710ic/50H. This makes it easy for users to quickly distinguish FANUC’s 5-axis robots from their 6-axis ones.
- • M - The letter “M” at the end of FANUC robot names designates high inertia models. The M-20ia/20M is one of FANUC’s high inertia robots with the capability to handle greater load inertias at its wrist.
- • F - The letter “F” at the end of FANUC robot names designates either a floor mounted or food grade robot. In the case of the R-2000ib/165F, the “F” means the articulated robot is floor mounted.
- • R - The letter “R” at the end of a model name means the FANUC robot is rack mounted. The R-2000ib/165R is an example of one of FANUC’s rack mounted models.
- • P - FANUC robots containing the letter “P” at the end of their name are pedestal mounted units. Pedestal mounted robots are given extra height by being integrated with a robot riser for an expanded work envelope. The R2000ib/100P is a pedestal mounted robot.
- • WE - The letters “WE” mean that the FANUC robot is a wash environment model. WE robots can tolerate harsh environments with protection from dust and liquid intrusion. The R-2000ib/210WE is one of FANUC’s WE robots.
- • U - The letter “U” is used to designate FANUC robots that can be mounted upside down, also known as ceiling mounted.
- • T - FANUC robots with a letter “T” at the end of their name are track mounted models. These six axis robots can be integrated with a gantry system in order to cover larger work areas. The M-20ia/20T is an example of a FANUC track mounted unit.