Why you Should Consider a Robot Workcell
Robot workcells are complete robotic systems that contain all equipment necessary to automate one or more applications of a manufacturing process. One or multiple articulated robots, a controller, sensors, end-effectors, a positioner, and any other equipment needed is contained within the housing of a single workcell. Workcells can be used to automate a single process or an entire sequence of tasks for a manufacturing operation.
There are two types of robot workcells, those that are pre-engineered and those that are custom built. Pre-engineered or turnkey workcells are those that have been pre-built by the manufacturer. They come with most equipment already selected and integrated. However, some manufacturers of pre-engineered workcells will allow for some modifications such as switching out the FANUC M-20ia for the M-20ia or upgrading the positioner. Customized workcells are built exactly to the intended users specifications with all equipment selected during the building process.
Reasons to Automate with a Robot Workcell
- 1. Full Speed Robot Operation - Since robot manipulators are enclosed by the workcell housing they can operate at their full speed. Safety regulations limit the speed at which industrial robot arms can operate when human workers are present. With workcells manufacturing robot armsare kept away from workers allowing for them to operate at their full potential. A workcell allows the Yaskawa HP20D to significantly increase productivity as it can operate at high speeds without any limitations.
- 2. Safer Work Environment - Industrial robots can pose safety risks to workers, however, enclosing them within a workcell significantly decreases those threats. All workcells feature multiple safety devices in order to protect workers from the hazards of industrial robots. Robotic manipulators operate away from humans as the barriers of the workcell keep the robot shielded. While workcell safety devices monitor and stop industrial robotic arm operation to prevent accidents, creating a safer work environment.
- 3. Streamline Factory Floors - Robot workcells are incredibly versatile. They can accommodate one FANUC LR Mate 200id or multiple 200ids and hold all peripheral equipment needed. They can be used to automate multiple processes including material removal, welding, assembly, and many more. The entire robotic system is kept within the workcell housing, streamlining factory floors. In addition, equipment can be added or changed within workcells without taking up additional floorspace as the footprint of the workcell does not change. With robotic workcells less equipment is spread across factory floors, freeing space for other needs.
- 4. Cost-Effective Manufacturing - Workcells are cost-effective as they can reduce production costs. Manufacturers are less dependent on expensive manual labor with robotic workcells. Material waste and errors are reduced while cycle times decrease. Investing in a pre-engineered workcell is also less expensive than buying equipment individually.
- 5. Reduced Production Downtime - Robot workcells allow for constant workflow, significantly reducing downtime. They can run around the clock allowing for greater uptime. Tool changers automatically switch factory robot tooling minimizing time in between processes.
- 6. Higher Product Quality - Eliminating or significantly reducing human involvement with manufacturing through robot workcells will improve product quality. With workcells an entire manufacturing process can be automated by robots preventing human errors. Six axis robots are significantly more accurate and precise than humans. Their high repeatability ensures all products meet the same high quality standards.