Benefits of High Automation Factories
Robotic automation has been a long-term trend in manufacturing with no signs of slowing down. The growth of industrial robots in manufacturing is being called the fourth industrial revolution. Many factories now have more industrial robots than workers on their production floors, creating a high automation factory. High automation factories are those that mainly use industrial robots and other automated equipment for manufacturing. High automation factories are becoming more common and are the future of manufacturing with their many benefits.
- • Reliable Manufacturing - High automation factories create a more reliable manufacturing system. Using FANUC Lr Mate 200ic or Motoman MA1400 for productions creates consistency in operations. Outcomes are also more consistent and predictable since robots can replicate their work. High automation factories are also more resilient to outside variables, making disruptions to productions unlikely.
- • Twenty-Four Hour Operations - High automation factories can run twenty-four hours a day due to the use of automated equipment. Articulated robots are capable of operating around the clock with no stoppages. With high automation factories a lights-out manufacturing approach can be achieved.
- • Faster Turnaround Times - Factories running mainly on robots and other automated equipment will be able to achieve faster cycle times. Products will take less time from start to finish resulting in quicker delivery times to consumers.
- • Lower Costs - Some may be hesitant to automate due to the initial cost. However, robots pay for themselves in the long run and will result in lower costs. With high automation factories labor costs are eliminated or significantly reduced. While costs associated with materials, consumables, and utilities are also drastically cut.
- • Improved Product Quality - One of the main contributors to poor product quality is human error. With a high automation factory human involvement is kept to a minimum, preventing errors and improving product quality. The high accuracy of the FANUC Arcmate 100ic ensures the production of high-quality products.
- • Safer Manufacturing - Many manufacturing processes can be quite dangerous and put workers at risk. High automation factories are safer as they rely on robots and move workers off of production floors. Robots are capable of dealing with the hazards of manufacturing from chemicals to high temperatures to heavy lifting without failure.
- • Adaptable Technology - Robots are versatile machines that can adapt to changes to be used for multiple projects. Many are multipurpose meaning they are capable of automating several types of applications. The FANUC r-2000ib/165F can automate material handling, palletizing, and packaging. When changes arise, reprogramming allows the FANUC R-2000ib to adapt with minimal downtime.
- • Eliminates Skills Gaps - In recent years manufacturers have seen a significant shortage of skilled labor, making it difficult to fill positions. Skills gaps are eliminated with high automation factories as industrial robots are able to perform tasks at a high level. Welding has been one of the hardest hit sectors when it comes to skilled labor shortages.
- • Expands Manufacturing Capabilities - With high automation factories, manufacturing capabilities are expanded. Higher productivity levels can be achieved, and more complex and intricate applications can be performed allowing manufacturers to keep innovating their products.
Implementing the FANUC Arcmate 120ic or a similar arc welding robot, fills the gap while also producing higher quality welds.