Benefits of Buying a Used Robot
With the growth of robotic automation in both traditional industrial settings as well as industries in non-industrial settings, the demand for industrial robots has never been higher. It’s not just new robots that companies are buying but also used ones as well. As industrial robots have been implemented into more factories and businesses around the world the used robot market has expanded. The presence of online retailers and marketplaces has fueled the growth of the used robot market, providing easier access for buyers. When buying an industrial robot, it is important to weigh the benefits of buying used versus new. Below is a list of some of the main benefits of buying a used robot.
- • More Affordable - Buying a used robot is a more cost-effective way to automate. Used robots typically cost between 40% to 60% less than new robots which can save companies several thousands of dollars. Buying a used FANUC Arcmate 120ic over a new Arcmate 120id is much more affordable and will provide the mostly the same automation benefits. The affordability of used robots can allow manufacturers on tight budgets to automate.
- • Quicker ROI - When investing in an asset for a business, one of the first questions is when can that business expect to see their return on investment. A ROI can be realized relatively quickly with industrial robots as they reduce costs, increase productivity, and improve quality. With used robots a ROI can be realized even faster since the initial cost of the used robot is lower than a new robot. Used robot buyers are able to breakeven faster and net higher profits sooner.
- • Short Lead Times - With the high demand of robots, some robotic manufacturers are having a hard time keeping up causing long lead times for new robots. Some new robots can take up to a year to be delivered. Used articulated robots are readily available and can be shipped quickly for faster turnaround times.
- • Easier to Integrate - For those needing to replace their current robot, a used robot will be the best option. Purchasing used allows buyers to find an identical robot model or one that is similar for easier integration with the pre-existing robotic system. Let’s say you need to replace your Yaskawa Motoman HP20. On the used robot market, you may be able to find the same robot or the Yaskawa HP20D which is a similar model. This helps avoid replacing additional equipment in the system.
- • Familiarity for Technicians - When buying a used robot, it is likely your robot technicians will already be familiar with it. This avoids additional training for technicians as they will already know how to program, operate, and maintain the robot. Downtime for training is avoided. This allows for a smooth transition process.
- • Reliability - One common misconception about used robots is that they will be faulty or will not last. Used robots can be just as reliable as new ones as many are refurbished to like new condition. Industrial robots can operate for several years to several decades. Buying a used FANUC R-2000ic/165F does not mean you are sacrificing quality.