Benefits of Stamping Robots
Many products are fabricated from metal stamping. These products vary considerably from car parts to zippers for clothing. In the past metal stamping has been a manual process but now many fabrication shops are automating it with the FANUC R-1000ia/80F and other industrial robots. Factory robots are improving metal stamping for the better through their many benefits.
- • Take on the Workload of Multiple Workers - Stamping robots save manual labor by taking on the workload of multiple workers. One ABB IRB 4600-60 can complete the same workload of two to three workers. Press shops become more efficient with stamping robot manipulators.
- • Short Changeovers - One of the biggest issues with manual stamping is long changeover times between parts. Stamping equipment could sit idle for several hours while workers transfer large pieces of sheet metal to and from the press. Stamping manufacturing robot arms drastically cut down changeover time. Shorter changeovers between parts allow for greater production uptime.
- • Increase Productivity - With less idle time between parts and the fast operating speeds of industrial robot arms, more workpieces can be stamped in less time allowing for greater throughput and higher productivity. Higher productivity allows companies to meet consumer demand. Handling robots are also scaleable and can adjust productivity rates to continue to keep up when product demand grows.
- • Less Waste - The biggest contributor to material waste and scrap is human error. Replacing humans with stamping industrial robotic arms eliminates this. The Motoman MH80 is extremely precise and is programmed to follow specific parameters making it very unlikely a mistake will occur. Stamping articulated robots significantly reduce the amount of material waste with their accuracy.
- • Reduce Worker Injuries - Metal stamping poses many safety risks to workers. Operating heavy machinery, maneuvering large metal workpieces, and handling hot metal can all cause serious injuries to workers. Automating stamping with the ABB IRB 6640 creates a safer work environment and reduces the likelihood of worker injuries from occurring.
- • Higher Product Quality - Six axis robots improve product quality with their accuracy and consistency. All metal workpieces are safely handled and correctly positioned, preventing poor or inconsistent quality. Each part is stamped exactly like the one before and after it.
- • Combat Labor Shortages - Many fabrication shops are suffering from labor shortages. There simply is not enough workers available to fill vacant positions. Automating with the FANUC M-710ic/50 fills in labor gaps while providing the skillset of an experienced worker. Automating stamping with robotic manipulators solves labor shortages and eliminates the risk of future turnover.
- • Lower Costs - Stamping robots will lower the operational costs of your press shop. Less manual labor means there are fewer worker salaries to pay saving labor costs. The prevention of waste helps reduce and stabilize material costs. Utilities can even be lowered with the energy efficiency of robots.
- • Handle Large and Complex Parts - The higher payloads and longer reaches of industrial robots makes them better equipped to handle and maneuver large pieces of sheet metal than humans. They are also better for the stamping of complex parts as they are programmed to follow specific parameters.
- • Pay for Themselves - Stamping robots are an investment that will pay for themselves in the long run. Higher productivity and lower costs allow press shops to achieve an ROI in just one to two years. Once an ROI has been reached profit potential becomes unlimited.