Industrial robots have been used to automate manufacturing processes for decades. While in the past robotic automation was mainly utilized by just a select few industries, today, more and more industries are automating their manufacturing with the FANUC M-20ia and other industrial robotic arms. While there are multiple factors playing a role in the growth of six axis robots in manufacturing, one of those factors is companies can no longer afford to ignore the advantages of robotic automation. There are several key benefits to automating manufacturing with robot manipulators.
- • Lower Costs - Automating with industrial robots is one of the best ways to lower manufacturing costs. Factory robots can lower costs associated with labor, materials, and utilities. Robotic automation decreases human involvement in manufacturing, reducing salary, benefit, and worker injury claim costs. Material waste is reduced through the accuracy of robots, lowering the amount of materials used. The energy efficiency of industrial robot arms along with their ability to operate without lighting or heating/cooling lowers factory utility costs.
- • Increased Productivity - Productivity rates can see a significant boost with robotic automation. Articulated robots operate at fast speeds and can take on greater workloads than humans. The ABB 1600 can handle the same workload as several workers on its own. More parts can be processed in less time with faster cycle times leading to higher productivity rates.
- • Greater Production Flexibility - Manufacturing robot arms are incredibly versatile. Most can automate several types of applications, unlike other forms of manufacturing machinery that are limited to automating a single process and part type. When processes or products change, handling robots can be reprogrammed to adapt to those changes and quickly redeployed. There is no time needed to retrain employees or equipment that needs to be decommissioned. Industrial robotic arms can automate multiple projects throughout their lifetime.
- • Safer Manufacturing - Automating manufacturing processes removes workers from dangerous and hazardous manual labor jobs. This creates a safer work environment for employees as they are no longer exposed to any chemicals, fumes, or strenuous movements involved with most manufacturing jobs. Assembly robots feature many safety devices to minimize any risk they could pose to factory workers.
- • Better Product Quality - Product quality significantly improves when manufacturing is automated by the Yaskawa MA1440 and other industrial robots. Robots are extremely accurate with high repeatability. This ensures they follow application programs without deviating. Product quality increases and becomes consistent across all parts.
- • Reliable Manufacturing - Manufacturing that relies on manual labor can be prone to unpredictable downtime. Worker sick days, vacation time, injuries, breaks, and turnover can cause labor shortages and inconsistencies causing manufacturing to become unreliable. Robotic manipulators do not cause these issues and downtime is extremely rare allowing for reliable and consistent manufacturing.
- • Increased Factory Uptime - The reliability and consistency of industrial robots increases the uptime of a factory. Robots can run continuously without stoppages. Factories can go from only being able to operate twelve hours a day to running twenty-four hours a day with the longer run times of industrial robots. Greater factory uptimes help to contribute to higher productivity rates.